Parents always are concerned about their baby, child growth and development. How to recognize my baby has growth retardation? And how to deal with it? Today's contents are centered on a baby grow. You can find all answers below.
1. How to recognize my baby has growth retardation?
Babies of different ages have different performances. You need to observe them.
1.1 newborn - 1 year old
1) after 2 months of age:
Babies can not lift their heads when they are lying in a prone position. Stiffness in the limbs. They also can not look at the adult's face.
2) after 3 months of age:
When the baby is picked up, his/her head is unsteadily erected, the limbs are stiffly stretched out or even the legs are crossed. They don't have responses to sounds, responsive smiles.
3) after 4 months of age:
Babies can not grasp objects. And they never look at their hands or play with their hands, their eyes can not follow parents.
4) after 5 months of age:
Babies can't laugh out loud, can't actively grasp their toys.
5) after 6 months of age:
Babies can not sit even with support. They won't turn their heads to the sound.
6) after 8 months of age:
Babies can not sit by themselves.
7) after 10 months of age:
Having bilateral asymmetry during crawling.
1.2 1 year old - 2 years old
1) after 18 months of age:
Babies do not walk alone or still keep walking on tiptoe for several months after learning to walk. Can't say "mommy and daddy" consciously. Can't sit on a chair. Can't identify body parts.
2) after 2 years old:
Can't jump in place. Can't run. Can't go upstairs. Don't know their own names. Can't draw straight lines or circles. Can't repeat other people's words.
1.3 after 3 years old:
Can't kick a ball. Can't open a door. Can't build blocks. Can't imitate drawing a circle. Can't understand adjectives like "cold, hot, hungry". Can't identify a color. Can't count to 3. Don’t know their age or gender. Can't throw a ball. Can't identify at least one animal.
2. The reason for baby growth retardation
When you find your baby has growth retardation, you need to figure out the exact cause first, and then get appropriate treatments.
2.1 genetic factors or intrauterine dysplasia
These two reasons account for 80%～90%. And these kinds of developmental delays usually have a normal growth rate. But it does not have special treatment. Some babies will gradually catch up with the normal level of development.
2.2 pathological causes
It includes many different causes. Such as chromosomal abnormalities, metabolic disorders, skeletal disorders, chronic diseases, chronic malnutrition disorders, endocrine disorders, etc.
2.3 incorrect feeding method
Babies don't get adequate, complete nutrition, sufficient feeding times. It may make babies lack nutrition, resulting in developmental delays.
2.4 don't have a good parenting
When parenting is not fully valued by parents. Babies will lack good care. Like babies don't have enough training and education. Parents have no interaction with babies, don't teach, help their babies to learn how to walk or talk. Some parents may coddle babies madly, resulting in babies don't know how to do anything.
3 How to deal with it?
1) Feeding your baby in a rational way to ensure comprehensive, balanced nutrition, and to develop good eating habits.
2) If your baby has pathological diseases. You should take him/her to see a doctor in time. And actively cooperate with doctors for treatment.
3) The basic way for babies to learn new things is to imitate. So parents should talk, do demonstrations to their babies more often. Talk to babies slowly, exaggerate the shape of their own mouths, train babies to imitate parents' pronunciation and behavior, and encourage them to dare to speak and imitate.
4) Take your baby out. Let him/her have more contact with society and nature. It can broaden their horizons and increase their knowledge.
5) More patience, more concern. A baby’s mentality is frail. Parents should be more patient in daily communication.